I got a comment yesterday from someone who stumbled on my blog through google searching "retain kindergarten". I'm still surprised that I'm google search worth even if it is 12 pages into the search.
Anyhow this mom has a child who has Sensory Integration Disorder like my little Tayton. It's not often that I find other people who have ever heard of SI let alone are in my boat. So I thought I'd answer her question.
We had an advantage when it came to retaining Tate in kindy because we knew from the first day of kindergarten that he would be a two year kindy kid. He had already done two years in the same Pre-K class so it seemed natural to him. But when it came time for him to complete the first year of kindergarten and his classmates to go on to first grade we worried about how he would handle the news.
We talked to him about how much fun kindergarten is and how some kids have to go to first grade. Then we explained to him that some kids get to be in kindergarten for two years and he was one of the lucky ones. With Tayton's SI he does not handle change well at all so it was fine with him. He actually told us "I don't ever want to go to first, second, thrid or fourth grade, I just want to stay in kindergarten forever."
Maybe telling your son will be that simple. Maybe not. SI kids need so much more time to adjust to new ideas than other kids. The way that their brains process information is like a highway that's congested in some areas and deserted in others. Tayton is scared to death to start first grade so we are talking about it often and reassure him like crazy that it's what comes next.
We did tell Tayton too that some of his other classmates that were going on to first grade had already done two years of kindergarten so now it was his turn. And of course that was true. Taytons second year of kindergarten made a world of difference in him. He finally started socializing a little bit with his peers and blasted to the top of the reading charts. He started to talk to his teachers more and just matured overall. Kids are resilient he will adjust but the more time you give him to get used to the idea of kindergarten again the better off you'll be. Good luck! Let me know how it goes. You can always email me at my address on my "about me" page!
My Real Life Army Brats
16 July 2008
Kindergarten Retention for Sensory Integration Disorder Kidlets!
Posted by My Two Army Brats at 10:08 AM
Labels: Sensory Integration Disorder
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
excellent information there... I have never heard of SID but then there is so much in this world that I dont know... but every day that i learn something new is a wonderful day!
thank you.
Hi! I hadn't realized you had a son with SID. My youngest son, Will (one of my twins) has severe SID along with cerebryl palsy. He is making huge strides lately thanks to our change in diet. (I plan on doing a big update once I get some "other things" taken care of)
Anyway, not sure if you checked it our or not, but 5 Minutes for Moms just added a new site called 5 Minutes for Special Needs moms and it is fantastic. The support there is just great!
:) Debi
There are lots of great reasons to give a child a bonus year of kindergarten. Our #1 reason was severe speech impairment. When we tried to explain why he was staying in kindergarten, he got really confused. We went around and around putting the positive spin on it. Finally we said he needed more time to work on speech. He completely understood that one! That bonus year was, in the words of one of his later teachers, "a year wonderfully spent."
I've just sent my 5 year old boy off to Kindergarten on Mondy. My heart is just breaking for him. Does your school recognize SID as basis for Special Education services, and was your sons first year half day or all day? Our school pushes all day and I just really feel in my gut that its TOOO much. I'd love him to go 1/2 day this year all day next. I'm so tormented right now. Any advice would be MUCh appreciated. (His most difficult sensory obstacle is food...won't eat at school). Thanks for having your blog!
Michelle, (mom to Scott)
M@Michelle-ford.com
Help! We are trying to have our daughter repeat Kindergarten and the District is v. against it. They said "we need compelling evidence that retaining her is in her best interest". My daughter has a mod. hearing loss, speech delay and mild cognative delays. We had her evaluated by a Neurophyc. who recommends retention. She needs an additional year to mature and gain more language plus she just turned 6 in July. I can't find any research to support my argument. I need HELP!!!!!!
KK~~ Send me an email and I will help you out! kmtkbest@gmail.com
I am sure that with your neurology report and recommendation you should be good but I have an idea that might help.
Post a Comment