Today I'm sure everyone taken time to remember that day when Americans were brought together in fear, anger and wept for loved ones lost. We all had a million thoughts running through our heads as we sat in front of our televisions for hours and days on end. Waiting to hear that another person was discovered alive. Unfortunately many were not.
Many military wives cried as they answered the phone repeatedly throughout the day to hear that same question from concerned family and friends. For us they were mostly asking how the events of that day were going to affect Kirke as far as going to war. Unfortunately we had no answers for them.
I was sleeping when the first tower was hit. My phone rang at around 6am (Alaska is 4 hours behind Eastern Standard Time) and it was Kirke's grandmother. I had no idea what she was talking about so she told me to turn on the news. No need for the news since every channel was the same. I sat glued to the TV watching the days events unfold.
Tayton was two weeks old. I carried him around the entire day. I was afraid to put him down. I was afraid that if I did something might happen and I'd never hold him again. I thought about the families who had experienced that last goodbye with their family members and had no idea that's what it was going to be. I cried.
Before Tayton was born Kirke's family had bought us plane tickets to come home shortly after he was born to meet the family. Our tickets were for September 25th. Exactly two weeks after those planes had been hijacked. My son was one month old. We didn't want to fly. We were scared but we decided not to let our fear take over our lives. We took those flights and we overcame the fear. We visited our family and then flew back two weeks later.
Unfortunately 7 years later our family just like the rest of the country still suffers in our individual ways because of the terrorists. My family is separated by thousands of miles because of the need to keep the bad guys in their own country instead of having them attack us at home again. I'm proud of my soldier and I miss him terribly but I'm thankful that he along with so many others are brave enough to keep the battles away from those of us here at home.
God Bless the families of all the people lost in the September 11th attacks. God Bless the families of our troops and keep our troops safe.
Remember.
My Real Life Army Brats
11 September 2008
Where were you?
Posted by My Two Army Brats at 8:46 PM
Labels: Serious Stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
i am so grateful too... many dont seem to understand that if our men and women do not fight over there to protect us all then the terrorists will come here and fight. War sucks thats for sure but living in fear sucks even worse.
thank you our soldiers!
Post a Comment