My Real Life Army Brats

My Real Life Army Brats
Those are not Taytons legs, look closely! And if you can't figure it out click on the picture!

16 April 2009

I Can't Make This Choice

I love my dogs. I can't imagine my life without dogs. I can't imagine our family with only one dog either. Allie is only 4. She shouldn't have to go so soon right? How the hell am I supposed to decide that it's time for her to die? That's effed up if you ask me! I can decide that I can't take care of her anymore. I can decide that she shouldn't have to live like this but does that mean she should have to die because of it? It's easy for everyone to say you've tried your best, you've done all you can and no one will think less of you if you decide to have her put down. I'm the one who has to say those words to the vet. I'm the one who has to go into the vets office with my little dog who's usually glued to my hip and walk out without her. I have to explain to the kids that Allie is hurt and can't live a normal life anymore so we're done with her because if she's not perfect we can't have that. What does that say to them about themselves? That because God made them a little different that they are less than perfect? This is not okay and it's effed up that I have to sit here alone trying to make this decision. This is a day that I'm angry as hell with my husband for not being here and trying to tell me over the phone what he thinks. This just isn't something our family can't handle right now. I'm taking my dog and we're going to bed and maybe tomorrow she'll wake up just fine.


How the hell am I supposed to put an end to this?

4 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

she looks happy and pain free. is she able /are you able to help her go to the bathroom? if so and shes not in pain I would not be able to have her put to sleep...shes a cutie and you have done amazing making her wheelchair...hugs to you I can not imagine what you are going through with this...

MaBunny said...

I can't even begin to imagine what you are going thru! I 'll soon be going thru something similar with my oldest dog - shes blind in one eye, doesn't have the other, has bad arthritis and is missing 6 teeth...and now she has a lump on her chest... I don't want to think about what that lump is - I'll say a prayer for you and Allie - that she does get better, or that all of you can find some sort of peace. /hugz

Weezy said...

I'm sorry honey. I will keep you all in my prayers and close to my heart. If, or when, it is the "right" time, your heart will tell you that going to sleep peacefully in the arms of someone you love and that loves you, is better than living and suffering.
Putting down a 4-legged furry kid is one of the hardest, and sometimes kindest thing you can do. With the 2 dogs we have had to do that with, they let us know when the time was right...one look in their pleading eyes, and we knew...they were begging to be let go. (but this was when they couldn't sit, lay, eat, drink,or anything else....only stand there and pant and puke and cry... We had to prop her up with toilet paper rolls under her head and belly, so she could rest. Allie may not be in that position yet. Some dogs live quite happily with their wheelchairs, otherwise, there wouldn't be several varieties to choose from! Let her talk to you...the answer will come when the time is right.
Love you!
Weezy

Damama T said...

You are one creative lady! That's a pretty cool contraption.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I'm sorry for Allie and the boys, too. Listen to your heart, darlin. And listen to Allie. She will tell you if she's in too much pain to continue on.

Have you tried finding her a new home? You might list her on Freecycle if it becomes too much for you to handle. I bet there are a lot of good people out there who'd love to give her a new home. They, like we, will understand that you are not dumping her; that you are, indeed, trying to do the very best for her that you possibly can.

And if you decide to take option 3, that will be OK, too. It will be hard, but you won't take that route unless there is just no other option. Again, everyone who matters will know that and understand. Including Allie.

Love ya, sweetie. Call if you need to. xoxoxo