Last night was a bad night for Allie and I. She woke me up a couple times and I took her to the bathroom and loved on her a little but she cried. I woke up this morning and she had messed in the kennel and cried in pain when i tried to get her out. She was wobbly on her front legs and it seemed she may have been experiencing some pain and weakness in her front legs too.
I gave her a bath and cleaned her up. I called the vet and I made an appointment to have her put down today. She was in pain and I can't watch her suffer. The boys and I loaded up in the van for the drive to the vet. Allie just laid down and rode in silence. I thought about turning around and taking her home and waiting to see what tomorrow may bring.
Instead we kept going. I needed time to accept that she wasn't going to get better. The knot in her back where her spine is messed up was so much more pronounced the past couple days. I knew it wasn't going to end well and had to prepare myself. I'm sad. The boys are sad. Our other dog, an 11 year old Cocker Spaniel/Lab mix is sad. He's moping around. When we came home without Allie he waited by the door for her to come in with us.
She was a good dog. We had her for 4 1/2 years. We'll miss her dearly. And now we move on.....


11 comments:
I was almost in tears reading this post. I didn't even know Allie, but reading about her this past week or so I've come to pray for her, root for her that she would get better. She seemed like such a sweet, lovable little fluff ball. You took wonderful care of her , and made her last days easier. She knew you loved her and she trusted you to do what you had to .
/hugz
I'm so sorry. It sucks so hard to lose a pet. :-(
I am so sorry for your loss of Allie, I am sure that she is in a better, pain-free place. Rest in Peace Allie.
hugssssssss.... I am like you I would not be able to see her in pain ... as long as she was not in pain I would do anything and you did...More hugssss
I'm sorry that you weren't able to save her :(
At least you can honestly say that you tried your hardest to give her a good life even with the problems she was having.
You stuck it out for so much longer than most people would have.
Hope you're all doing OK.
I am sooo sorry. I know how badly you wanted her to get better and how much time and effort you put into making things as great for her as you possibly could.
I am so sorry girl. Big hugs for all of you!!!! Loosing a dog is such a hard thing.
The Crist family wraps yours in our hearts and our arms as you process and celebrate Allie's life. Rest in peace, sweet puppy.
I'm so sorry! Having a dog put down is tough!
I'm so sorry!!! Losing a pet IS losing a family member. Big hugs to you!!!!!
I know how much you loved her and you tried your best to help her make it. Tell the boys the story of the The Rainbow Bridgefor me, please. And maybe check out the website and think about posting a memorial.
It is easy to say that we just need to move on, but we need to grieve a little, and honor the memories, too, in order to put full emotional closure to any loss. Don't try to rush on so fast that you don't give yourself (or the boys) time to really deal with it.
Yes, I know, you've got it covered, so Ok - I'll quit bugging you now... ;o) xoxoxo
Post a Comment