Our battalion had a spouse's retreat this weekend. They always call them retreats but its more of a weekend long seminar. We have done it once for a Marriage Retreat but this time with the guys being gone we had spouses and kids. They provide childcare during our classes and then they also gave us a couple of hours on Saturday for some quiet kidless time which we used to shop of course! There is one nice restaurant at the resort and two fast food style places at a "food court". They gave us each our own room and meal passes for the weekend.
This all sounds wonderful right?
It is except that they don't tell you that the place is gigantic. It's built in the middle of some little mountains and there is not one single level road in the place! No sidewalks at all either. There are no elevators and you have to walk 17 miles to get from your room to the main building with the food/classes. There were probably 25-30 spouse there with a gazillion kids. No daddy's there to help carry luggage and little kids to and from the million places we had to be either. Oh and lets not forget the snow storm we got Saturday.
I decided that this was a Fat Camp posing as a Spouse's Retreat. The seminars were on parenting and long distance relationships during deployments as well as what to expect when the guys get home which is still a gazillion months away. I think the guys called back to the Rear Detachment unit and said that they are worried that we are all going to be enormous cows when they return and asked them to set this up for us. Between walking up and down stairs, hills and long hallways we probably all lost 10 pounds and add the yucky food to that and you bet your boots this was a plot against us!
I shall protest by devouring loads of chocolate tonight! Ha I'll show them!
My Real Life Army Brats
02 March 2009
Spouse's Retreat OR Fat Camp?
Posted by My Two Army Brats at 4:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I remember going to a church camp like that with Nicole - it was fun, but TONS of walking!
I'll be happy to eat my share of chocolate to support your cause...yeah, I'm always good for a cause...well, and chocolate!
What a bummer. What can I say, but "Eat more chocolate!"
I am still tired and a little sore from all those dang stairs!! Dont worry I ate some fattening foods to make up for all that forced exercize too.
LOL. Fat camp..that was hilarious. They are sneaky, aren't they?
I could use a "retreat" like that. Required exercise and inedible food. What a great way to take off the extra pounds. Not to mention the free daycare!!!
I thought I had already commented on this...maybe I forgot. Maybe I did and you denied me? I'll do it again.
I can't believe that they tricked you guys like that! Remind me when they decide to do one of those here (as if they do anything here), not to go!!! I don't do exercise. And I need my food.
Every time we get those invitations for spouse retreats, my husband is all, "Aren't you interested in a free weekend away?" And I'm all, "Are you NUTS?! I don't want to listen to lectures all weekend. If I'm going out of town, I'm doing it on MY terms, damnit! Even if it means my wallet!"
LMAO. So aside from the snow storm, carrying your own luggage, kid wrangling and classes it was a good weekend, right? :)
You are too funny and truly the only person I know who can so deftly legitimize chocolate consumption in every circumstance! LOL!
Post a Comment