My Real Life Army Brats

My Real Life Army Brats
Those are not Taytons legs, look closely! And if you can't figure it out click on the picture!

24 August 2008

I Will Not Eat Green Fish and Chips

I cooked the kids popcorn fish for dinner. They were at the commissary being prepared by a gourmet chef in a chefs hat and all when we went grocery shopping last time. I try to go on days that there are plenty of samples so I don't have to make lunch. Unfortunately that only happens on paydays at the military commissaries so it's always crazy busy!

This lady tried to offer me a tasty morsel of fins, gills and fish slime (or popcorn shrimp to the normal person) and I quickly shoved the little blond boys toward her outstretched hand because I can't stand fish! I will catch it, clean it and cook it but I am not going to eat it! The boys and Kirke like fish though so they tried it, loved it, went back to get more (because they knew there would be no lunch on this particular day). Then I felt obligated to buy a box because A. they loved them and B. I would have felt guilty if I didn't because they always watch you out of the corner of their beady little eyes to see if you just stopped to steal her samples, enjoy them and go on your way of if you sampled because you might like to buy some.

I cooked the popcorn chicken tonight because I felt they deserved a little gourmet cooking and I planned on eating Ben and Jerry's a salad for dinner. They were sitting at the table eating like the little angels they aren't when Tayton says "Mom what's this green thing in my fish?" I looked and didn't see anything green. He said "I think there's something green inside this one too". As if he has super powers that allow him to see straight through breaded fried foods, it's amazing really! He opened it up, which by the way, lets not dissect food because it makes it even less appealing! He said to me "see that green right there, why is it green?"

I looked and then it dawned on me, my little Tayton is colorblind and his red/brown/greens are tough on him. He saw the brown areas of the fish and to his eyes it was green. He knows that fish should not be green and he was not eating green fish! I'm not sure that fish is supposed to have brown in it either! I'm with him, lets not eat that junk! Korbin had seconds of green popcorn fish!

Dinner was over.

3 comments:

KG said...

*snort* Green fish are fantastic. I feel like fancy schmancy restaurants in London and Paris will soon be selling it!

Anonymous said...

I am so there with Tayton Im not eating green fish either ... can we just say YUCK?!! Thanks for not inviting us over tonight LOL.

Sonya said...

Oh my goodness....I know that I would have died laughing if that would have been said to me! Now, I like fish, but if he would have said green, I would have lost my cookies and then laughed my butt off! :)

Nice of you to give in to something they like though! Good mommy!

Hugs!