My Real Life Army Brats

My Real Life Army Brats
Those are not Taytons legs, look closely! And if you can't figure it out click on the picture!

18 March 2008

Kindergarten

I've mentioned before that my oldest son has Sensory Integration Disorder. I've worked my tail off to get him to a point where most people have no idea he's any different from every other six year old. This is great except when people assume he's just being bad or acting out and that I should have more control over him.



This is Tate's fourth year in school. He went through two years in a special education pre-k in Alaska and progressed into a mainstream kindergarten last year. We put him in kindergarten with the plan to retain him, do kindergarten again and then promote him to first grade when he was 6. Well school in many respects is going fantastic for him lately. He is reading at the top of his class, his hand writing is improving greatly despite his fine motor delays. Socially he's coming along too and talks to adults much more frequently. He attempts to talk to other kids but is more drawn to kids older than him. He's nervous about a lot of things and gets really clingy whenever we go out and about.



Today it was time to go to school and he cried and cried because I was letting his daddy take him to school instead of me taking him to school. These little changes in his day are tough but sometimes they need to happen. Now I feel guilty for sending him off to school this way but I know that it's important to let him try new things.



His brother on the other hand tells me that I don't need to walk him to class (pre-school) and that he's big enough that he know's how to find his class. Tate on the other hand won't even walk two steps in front of me down the hallway. How can two boys raised exactly the same be so completely different?

0 comments: