I wasn't going to post this but now I'm just mad and I've done everything I can do and I don't know what I wanted out of stirring the pot but damn it we're still suffering and the school got off easy. It's bullshit!
Ok back in October my son, 5 years old, was in the restroom at school with a friend we'll call D. Korbin and D were washing their hands and getting ready to head back to class......probably having a water fight or standing under the air dryer too. Another student we'll call M. came into the restroom,, walked up to Korbin and D and pulled down his pants M tried to get the boys to touch him. Korbin and D did the typical "eww gross get away" thing and that's when M grabbed my Korbin and tried to pull down his pants. Korbin's pants did not come down because he had on adjustable waist jeans. D was not so lucky. He had on sweats and his pants were yanked down by this other boy. Korbin took advantage of this time to run away and get help. This is sexual assault!
This is the story we were told when we picked up Korbin and D from school that day. October 10th to be exact. We weren't notified during the day that anything out of the ordinary had taken place that day. D's mom and I talked for a few minutes and thus began a friendship strongly centered around our children's experience.
Over the weekend Korbin's behavior changed. He became very defensive and angry and mean. In fact he picked up an end table over his head and was ready to throw it at his brother! Not typical Korbin behavior. I spoke with the counselor on Monday and asked her to talk with Korbin because I noticed his behavior had changed. She assured me she would. She never did.
A fews day later after speaking with D's mom we decided we needed to meet with the principal and find out what, if anything was being done. M was still in class with our kids. Still roaming the halls and still alone with other children. I approached the principal on Wednesday that week and asked if we could meet with her Thursday or Friday. She informed me she was quite busy and couldn't schedule an appointment with us and if we wanted to talk to her it had to be right then. Since D's mom and I wanted to be together as to not be bullied that didn't work for us.
Friday morning we decided to just drop in and meet with the principal right then. She didn't even offer us a seat. She basically just said what she needed to say to shut us up and get us out of the office. At this time the counselor still had not met with my son even though it was specifically requested by me that she do so 5 days earlier. A week had passed at this point.
The following week nothing happened and my son continued to become angrier and more defensive. On one occasion Korbin came home with a note saying he got in trouble for "growling" at other kids. I told the teacher I'd growl at other kids too if no one was going to make sure I felt safe at school.
That Friday D's mom and I both emailed the superintendent of the district to alert him of the situation. The boys had both stated M had tried to get them to touch him and possibly had tried to touch them as well. They were reluctant to talk about the incident.
Monday morning the superintendent assistant called and said he'd look into why the counselor hadn't met with the kids and basically just saying what he had to say to pacify me. Remarkable the counselor met with both boys the next day and did a class (at my request) on good touch/bad touch with the students and appropriate behavior. Then that was the end of it.
Well unfortunately my son continued to become more and more aggressive and get into trouble and be disruptive in the classroom. I took Korbin to the behavioral health child psychologist on post who said Korbin has ADHD and has put him on medication. He stated that he felt that the onset of the ADHD symptoms came on so strong because of the incident but that they would have shown up in time. I went ahead with the medication because of the anger and violence not because he's a wild little boy. We love that about him!
D's mom and I were fed up with the schools administration and in November we both removed our kids from school and opted to home school them.
Well here I am 10 months later stewing over the issue again. I raised attention to the incident with our rear detachment commander at a meeting last month because I felt that the incident was not handled right and that my son was still suffering from the incident and I wanted to know what was supposed to happen in a situation like that.
Today we had a meeting with the family advocacy representative, the rear detachment commander and Kirke's 1SG. They had met with the schools administration and basically felt they did their share to handle the situation. They claimed to be unaware that there was an attempt to force our kid to touch M and that M tried to touch them. They freakin lied through their teeth about when they met with the students.
Today is the day I drop it. The school did not take care of my son and keep him safe and upon realizing he was in the situation played it off as boys being boys. That is not okay!! I'm pissed off but I don't know what I want that would make me not be so pissed off. I want my sweet loving happy little boy back.
The meeting we had today basically showed me that no one but me thinks this is a big deal. They made me feel as if I'm just being an over protective pain in the ass parent. I don't know what I expected but I didn't expect to have the situation minimized once again.
I'm not impressed. I feel like they are saying it's acceptable behavior. If this had happened to a little girl it would have been handled differently. If the other students parent wasn't an officer it would have been handled differently. If Korbin and D's daddy's had been here instead of in Iraq it would have been handled differently.
I miss my lovable sweet little guy. We love homeschooling but it's expensive. It's really been to our benefit that we've pulled them out of public school but damn it's just not right that THIS is the reason why! It's bullshit and I'm mad as hell but I've done all that I can do. I'm just grateful that my children aren't in school with kids who are allowed to bully them and hurt them anymore.
I'm not proof-reading this because it'll just make me mad all over again so forgive my typo's. If you made it this far, thanks for reading.
I just figured out what I want out of this. I want people to stop saying things like this happen and it's gonna be okay. I want people to say "You are right, this is not acceptable behavior and I'm sorry that this happened to your son. We will do everything we can to keep it from happening again!" I'm sick of people in authority positions just blowing it off like it's no big effin deal. It's a big damn deal and it's NOT okay!
My Real Life Army Brats
30 July 2009
Sexual Assault is Ok in Our Schools
~Till They All Come Home~
Posted by My Two Army Brats at 3:13 PM
Labels: Homeschooling, Serious Stuff, What the hell is she talking about?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
How very frustrating. I am so sorry this happened.
You are right, this is not acceptable behavior and I'm sorry that this happened to your son. Did I get it right? Kidding. I kid!
You are absolutely right. The school effed up. Had it been a little girl it absolutely would have been handled differently. I hate to think of what will come of the kid that was allowed to do this and get away with it. One hell of a productive member of the prison's I am sure. (Is that mean?)
For what it's worth, I still think Korbin is sweet and lovable :)
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though you will ever get the smallest hint of an apology from the school. Sue them. Surely they should have to cover the costs of homeschooling your children since they can't keep them safe. Right? Seems fair to me.
It's not acceptable and it's not right. You did the right thing removing Korbin from the situation.
I would guess with time will come healing...I would guess right now that probably doesn't feel like nearly enough.
I pray for peace for you and your family.
Uh, no, it's not different if it was a girl, the schools still don't do anything. Yes, it's good that you have made your son safe. You need a new counselor for him. He has issues that need addressing. IF not dealt with now, the behavior and anger issues will blow up in the teen years.
So do get a good counselor that helps your son deal with his anger issues. He's ticked off at what happened and his helplessness (and that he was not protected) but does not know how to handle these feelings.
If you are Christian, prayer and forgiveness helps with the healing. Anger is the 2nd stage of grief. There is grief in the loss of the innocence of your son and the loss of his safety.
Homeschool helps you to heal as a family, and it helps your son to feel safe. You've made a good decision, no matter the impetus. Be thankful for that.
Blessings,
You know how I feel about this situation ... I am angry about how the school handled this rather how they didnt handle this! I think that basically everyone who didnt help you and Korbin and D's family should be fired and NEVER allowed to work with children again, I think that little boy should be placed in a group treatment program, and his parent should have to go to parenting classes. I think the COC should be responsible on some level as well soldiers need to know thier children are safe in the schools the Army provide for them. I miss the old Korbin but I love him still.
I am so glad that we no longer go to that school anymore.
I hope one day you find peace about this and Korbin finds a way to forget that this happened to him.
Understanding your rage.
Praying for your child, your family, and your homeschooling.
If you are using the same curriculum as the public school...just at home, you CAN force them to provide all materials (texts, workbooks, etc.)
If you are using other stuff, you could still TRY to get compensation.
Blessings.
OMG!!! I'm pissed!!!
Hey--Michelle, you are 100% right. The situation was handled poorly. My child was threatened with expulsion for poking a classmate in the hip b/c she was sitting with her bottom in the air. Was also given a lecture on sexually inappropriate touching. Felt dirty and shamed for something innocent. His comment, "It's not like I poked her in the eye."
Love Korbin (like I know you do) and focus your energy on his healing. He is an AWESOME, AWESOME kid. Obviously you will get nowhere with the school system. People ask why I teach in public schools and this is one reason--maybe I can keep one child like Korbin or "D" safe. Know that being there doesn't mean everyone agrees.
I can't believe this was not resolved appropriately. I am not only disappointed in the school I am disappointed in the Army. If family advocacy will not advocate for your child who else can you turn to. I don't care if the kids dad is the effin' General, an investigation should have been done. Not just for Korbin and D but for M. That behavior is learned.
I don't know that I could move on and just forget the past. I hold the school and Military responsible. I would want the entire city to know the danger that their children are in by the lack of caring and responsibility of both organizations.
You are SO right and this is so NOT acceptable. I also hope that they didn't sweep this under the carpet because M's dad is an officer, that would be wrong aon many different levels, because if the parents aren't aware of what happened, how can they teach their son? I am disappointed in your school system for, obviously, not taking this seriously enough. Sexual assault is wrong no matter if it's Boy/Girl, G/B, B/B, or G/G.
Just curious, have you tried to contact M's parents? They should be made aware of their son's behavior. They may not like it, but it will be a lot easier to handle when the child is 5/6, as opposed to 25/26.
My prayers are with you and your family, especially Korbin.
Not only is it unacceptable it is against the law. You should have called the police on the kid and let them deal with it.
Post a Comment