My Real Life Army Brats

My Real Life Army Brats
Those are not Taytons legs, look closely! And if you can't figure it out click on the picture!

18 December 2009

Ten Years Together



Ten years ago I was 20 years and 23 days old. He was a much older at 21 years and 29 days old. We had been out of high school for only 2 1/2 years. We were kids. I was working as a home health aide and still making pizza at the local Little Caesars where I had worked since I was 15. He had spent 2 1/2 years in the Army and was stationed at Ft Drum NY. I lived with my wonderful Aunt and he lived in the barracks 600 miles away.


The engagement lasted 6 months. We planned the wedding and ten years ago today was the day we pulled it off. We had about a 125 guests. Ten of those were his family from Texas and the rest were our friends and family in Michigan.


I hadn't met any of his family other than his mother. I was scared they would hate me. Afterall he was marrying a "northern girl". I was okay with that because we were in love.

Our friends knew us as Micky and Opie. We had lived 9 hours apart for the duration of our engagement and were anxious to begin our lives together. Two kids from different worlds but love was all we needed.


Our pastor was a man I had known since I was 8 years old. He lived next door to my grandparents (now parents) house. My Maid of Honor was one of my best friends I'd known since I was 7 years old. My bridesmaid was my exboyfriend's youngest sister. I had a 10 year old Jr Bridesmaid who I had babysat since I was 12 and her two sisters were my flower girls.


Kirke's Best Man was his best buddy at Ft Drum. His groomsman was a childhood friend from Texas who was living in Michigan only a half hour from my hometown. The Jr Groomsman was my 12 year old cousin. We had two ushers. Our buddy Mark who was like a brother to me and my 14 year old cousin.


Ten years ago we were married. We still kinda like each other now. Two and half kids later we're still in love. I love you Kirke and I'd do it all over again if I had the chance!







~Till They All Come Home~

7 comments:

MommaSuds said...

Happy Anniversary you guys. I hope you had a great time these past few days. We sure do miss you all. We had our first game night tonight....really made me miss you.

Mary said...

How sweet. It is so wonderful when you find the right person to love.

Roger Miller said...

Congratulations on making it hrough your frst decade together. Here's to many mor decads in your future together. God Bless!

MaBunny said...

Oh Michelle! What a beautiful post:) Happy Anniversary! Chris and I have been together for 15yrs ( married for 13) and everyday is still something new!
Hope you have many more years together!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. 10 years. Wow. Time flies.

Damama T said...

Happy Anniversary. Now days under even the best of conditions getting where you are is a challenge. And typical for you, you've done it the hard way -- and made it look easy. Congratulations!!