I got a little side tracked and thought for a moment or twenty that the reason we were homeschooling was solely based on the whole sexual assault thing. I had forgotten it was something we had always considered and even actually figured we'd end up having to do one day. The reason being that my children have a problem fitting into the cookie cutter student mold. Most types of children can find their fit in public schools but with Tayton's Sensory Integration Disorder it makes things hard. One day he might be fantastic at one thing but need major improvements in other and the next week it could be completely opposite. This makes it tough on the teachers, other students and especially on Tayton.
After the rough start we had with homeschooling last week I needed a little time to regroup. I realized that what I did wrong was pushing the kids too hard too fast and forcing them to conform to how I expect them to learn. I put work books in front of them and said work. Well DUH of course that doesn't work.
We took Thursday and Friday and slowed things down and did some new plans. Today was the first day of the new plan and it was perfect!
We spent the morning at the eye doctor (health). We came home the kids played outside for a bit while we made lunch. After lunch we colored maps (geography) and talked about all of the states the four of us have been. All of our maps are colored differently. It was fun. We also checked out the new states the boys (Kirke and I already have them colored) will get to color when we drive out to NY in March.
OH did I forget to mention that? We're on orders. We'll be leaving the great state of Missouri and heading back to where Kirke and I met 11 years ago. Ft Drum, New York! But that's another story. We can't wait to get back up there and show the boys that part of our past! Our first home as a married couple, where we met, where we spent time together and so much more!
Ok so back to school. We played a math game instead of focusing on work sheets. We did language arts workbooks and they were okay with it. Then we went to the playground and the kids wandered down to the skate park where they had a blast running up and down the obstacles.
I think I can remember what works for us. Again the 4 month break was a bit much it's going to take some time to get back on track!
My Real Life Army Brats
31 August 2009
Now I Remember but Did I Forget to Mention That?
~Till They All Come Home~
Posted by My Two Army Brats at 8:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Way to go thinking outside the box!
I forget to be creative at times, too. Disaster strikes at those times. At least two (girls) of my six have SID and one is going through puberty. Not fun.
Do you have to keep changing things up, or will the boys get into a set routine and latch on?
I find it so awesome that you are homeschooling. Unfortunately in Germany you can't do that but I admire the people who do do it.
Isn't it complicated to stick to a set out plan? How do you know what needs to be covered? You make it sound like a lot of fun - coloring maps etc. much better than being forced to remember states in geography class in school.
some how i missed the sexual assult post. I can so believe they did nothing and it makes me ill... however i can tell you from living through being raped at age 6 by an older neighbor boy, no one cared no one believed it happened except his brother who was also raped by him... and you have done the right thing to help korbin by removing him from that school... and hopefully he is well on the road to healing....
you are an awesome mom and wonderful teacher for your kids you should be so proud of yourself and them :)
love and hugs
I always loved it when my dad got orders. Especially reading about the cities we might be moving to, and then when the orders came, reading about where we were moving to. The only time I didn't like it was when my dad got orders between my junior and senior years. Who wants to start a new school as a senior?
Good creative approach to the education of the boys. Are you going to keep homeschooling after you move? Don't forget all the lessons you can teach between now and March, packing, space management, finances, trip planning, etc... Good times!! :)
Post a Comment