My Real Life Army Brats

My Real Life Army Brats
Those are not Taytons legs, look closely! And if you can't figure it out click on the picture!

27 August 2009

A Four Month Summer Break is a Bad Bad Plan

I honestly had no idea how much information kids lose over the summer. We finished our required hours and grade level work at the beginning of May. We had it all set so I figured "no big deal we'll just start our summer break 3 weeks earlier than the local public school".

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!

I'm pretty sure we should have to pass a common sense test to home school our kids. What I mean is "ignore my college education for a minute please" because obviously I didn't use it when making these choices! I figured we'd stay up on our skills over the summer but who was I kidding? If I'm not held accountable for what we're doing then not much is gonna get done!

During the school year we document EVERYTHING! We keep good records so when the rat bastards who screwed my kids over in the public schools here decide to be pricks and come knocking on my door for educational neglect I'll make a fool of them! But my plan for summer was just to wing it. We did some educational stuff. Some. Obviously not enough. The only thing that didn't seem to lose out was Tayton's reading abilities. He's still a good little reader and his comprehension is impressive. But his math is screaming for some serious review and brushing up on skills he'd once mastered!!

Korbin has decided he doesn't know how to do anything. He's taking forever just to fill in a simple 100's chart. Today I decided we'd try a little addition and see if maybe he's just bored with the 100's boring review crap. THANK GOD that was the case! I thought we'd be starting back over at the beginning of kindergarten instead of first grade! He's good and in time will be right on track and realize that taking all day to do one assignment is a bad plan.....for all of us! He's still reading, well learning to read, pretty good. He's lost some of his sight words but he'll get back on track. Right?

As for me i almost lost my mind by day 3 but after taking a chill day to relax, review and reevaluate our plans I think we're gonna be alright.....I think.

Lesson learned: More than two weeks break is probably too much!


~Till They All Come Home~

4 comments:

Judy said...

I PROMISE it gets better! But yeah, 4 months off is a bit much :) LOL

Brandi said...

I'm here lol

I'm sure the boys will be fine. Even in public school the children have a time of review to start out the year. The boys will get back into the swing of things. You might even discover that they have progressed a great deal.

Weezy said...

Tis all normal in the world of homeschooling, darlin. Even public school kids spend the first month reviewing! Besides, you DID do some homeschooling...lots of field trips! (geography and science credit, along with an added bonus of PE for the canoe trip!)
They will lag for a little bit, and then amaze you with how much has really sunk in during your break. Get out that map and have them put pins in all the places they traveled!
Love you!
Weezy

Charlene said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your boys are cute. I read through your post about the Photo Chop, that was hilarious! I can't believe they made such drastic edits and didn't expect you to notice. It turned out good though; I probably wouldn't have noticed it unless you possed the question of noticing what was wrong.